Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For a plant-packed, Asian spin on Taco Tuesday, a healthy chicken-and-veggie stir-fry is bathed in sesame and soy, then wrapped in crisp lettuce leaves. Chopped cashews add a creamy, indulgent crunch and cilantro gives it a fresh finish.
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 2 heads large-leaf lettuce (like romaine or butter lettuce)
- ¾ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- Separate lettuce leaves and rinse under cold water, carefully patting each one dry with a paper towel. Stack leaves on a plate, cover with a moist paper towel, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce (or tamari), honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil and arrowroot powder (or cornstarch). Set aside.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and stir-fry until browned (1-2 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the garlic, bell peppers, green onion, and jalapeño and stir-fry until tender-crisp (2-3 minutes). Return the chicken to the pan and add the cashews. Whisk the sauce mixture if separated, add to the pan, and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat and serve.
- To serve, spoon the cashew chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves, and garnish with cilantro, if desired. Fold the lettuce leaves like tacos and enjoy!