Sautéed Rainbow Chard with Onions
Yellow onions give an unexpected sweetness while the colorful chard stems add a nice crunch to this delicious and nutritious side dish. Sautée up a big batch for a quick, weeknight staple or serve as an accompaniment to your famous prime rib to impress your dinner guests.
- 2 large bunches rainbow chard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter*
- 2 medium onions (or 1 large), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Cut stems and center ribs from chard, discarding any tough portions, then cut stems and ribs crosswise into 2” pieces. Stack chard leaves and roll up lengthwise into cylinders, then cut crosswise to make 1” wide strips.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions covered, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften (4-6 minutes). Add chard stems and ribs, along with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until stems are just tender (3-5 minutes). Add half of chard leaves and cook, stirring, just until wilted (about 4 minutes). Add remaining chard and cook, stirring, until all chard is wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!
*To make this dairy-free/vegan, omit the butter and add 2 additional tablespoons of olive oil